Helen Roberts Evans – Missionary in Liberia
A longtime Sherman member, UMW Missionary and Evanstonian, Helen represents one of the ways SUMC sends our hearts into the service of Christ in the world.
Shorefront Legacy Center
Founded by Sherman member Dino Robinson, and housed here at SUMC, Shorefront is dedicated to preserving the forgotten histories of the black communities of the North Shore.
Fisk University Choir
Begun over a decade ago almost by accident as the brainchild of Sherman member, Mildred Parker whose daughter Tramaine was a student of Fisk University and a member of the Jubilee singers, the yearly concert fundraiser splits the funds raised between scholarships to Fisk University students and ministries in the Evanston community. Held each year in October, the concert coincides with and celebrates the anniversary of Sherman founded in 1922.
Interfaith Action of Evanston
Inspired by diverse faiths and shared values, Interfaith Action of Evanston brings people together to serve hungry and homeless people, pursue interfaith dialogue, and engage in advocacy that promotes social justice.
We are constantly in mission with others to serve persons in our community who are hungry and/or homeless. Some of our other involvements include:
- Every year we sponsor a team in the annual CROP Walk for Hunger
- Volunteers in our Sack Lunch Program make brown bag lunches that are distributed through Connections of the Homeless.
- Our ministry team participates in the Sunday Soup Kitchen at St. Paul Lutheran Church four times a year
- Participation in the Produce Mobile each month where we sort, bag, and distribute fresh produce.
- During the winter months volunteers from Sherman UMC help at the Overnight Emergency Shelter located in various faith communities in Evanston